Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Interview to Juan Gonzalo Rose

 

Juan Gonzalo Rose to Hildebrandt: Haya told me “you were an Aprista” and  I replied “and you too”

César Hildebrandt interviewed the poet Juan Gonzalo Rose three years before his death, when he had already entered into a twilight attitude, without money, affected by different ailments and completely separated from the world. However, he allowed himself to go back and talk about his life and his poetry.

 

 


 


The interview was published by Caretas magazine, in its edition

 

of March 10, 1980.

Source: Newspaper La Cronica Viva, Lima Peru

You have said, heartbreakingly, that the creative forces have abandoned you, but that you still hope for a miracle.

 

–It is a way of expressing hope, dictated above all by feeling. Because, rationally, I realize that my possibilities of creation are exhausted.

–I have asked myself many times, Juan Gonzalo, what it was that broke him. In a poem from Las comarcas you say: "But the great heartbreak brings only dark nights..." Was that? Was it loneliness?

 

 

 

–Yes, in part… But there are other factors. First of all, of course, time: I am 52 years old. Then, that loneliness that we have referred to and that in my case is very special... Because for four years I have been suffering from depression. This depression leads me to lock myself in my room, and weeks and weeks go by and I don't talk to anyone. In such a way that, lacking experience, there is no material for creation. All creation is nourished by experiences…

 

 

 

–Does the country, Juan Gonzalo, our reality have anything to do with your sadness?

–I think it is possible. Without a doubt the political climate influences.

 

 

 

–Not just the political climate. I was referring to the systematic mistreatment that this country administers to its poets, its musicians, to the best of its people in many cases...

 

 

 

–Yes, feeling unstimulated, always feeling expendable, this kind of often silent offensive, have to do with my depression but other factors also influence. For example, Dr. Mariátegui told me that it hurts me a lot not to have any financial security. This is true... I have reached the age I have reached and I live supported by my mother... My mother gives me shelter and food, but existence cannot be reduced to that. So I help myself with sporadic newspaper articles... And my mother is already a woman who is already in her 80s. Unfortunately, her lifespan is not going to be very long...

–You were fired from the National Institute of Culture, right?

 

 

 

-Yeah.

 

 

 

–During the management of Mr. Abril de Vivero?

 

 

 

-That's how it is.

 

 

 

–Why were you fired?

 

 

 

–They didn't give me any explanation.

 

 

 

–How much did you earn?

 

 

 

–Ten thousand soles.

 

With affection,

 

Ruben

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment