Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Jorge Luis Borges Quotes


Jorge Luis Borges Quotes
Jorge uis Borges

1.       
2.     Truth never penetrates an unwilling mind.
3.     All that happens to us, including our humiliations, our misfortunes, our embarrassments, all is given to us as raw material, as clay, so that we may shape our art.
4.     While we are asleep in this world, we are awake in another one
5.     A writer, or any man, must believe that whatever happens to him is an instrument; everything has been given for an end. This is even stronger in the case of the artist. Everything that happens, including humiliations, embarrassments, misfortunes, all has been given like clay, like material for one's art. One must accept it.
6.     Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time.
7.     Of all man’s instruments, the most wondrous, no doubt, is the book. The other instruments are extensions of his body. The microscope, the telescope, are extensions of his sight; the telephone is the extension of his voice; then we have the plow and the sword, extensions of the arm. But the book is something else altogether: the book is an extension of memory and imagination.
8.     Creativity is suspended between memory and forgetting.
9.     What you really value is what you miss, not what you have.
10.  Any life, however long and complicated it may be, actually consists of a single moment — the moment when a man knows forever more who he is.
11.   I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.



Phrases from Jorge Luis Borges
one.
You have to be careful when choosing enemies because you end up looking like them.
If we face someone, we are likely to end up adopting their same defense strategies.
2. Let each man build his own cathedral. Why live on foreign and ancient works of art?
3. Universal History is that of one man
4.Maybe there are enemies of my opinions, but myself, if I wait a while, I can also be the enemy of my opinions.
5. You are not what you are by what you write, but by what you have read.
6. I do not know to what extent a writer can be revolutionary. For now, he is working with the language, which is a tradition.
7. I would like to be brave. My dentist says I am not.
8. "Always" is a word that is not allowed to men.
9. You are not ambitious: you are content with being happy.

10. There are communists who argue that being anti-communist is being fascist. This is as incomprehensible as saying that not being a Catholic is being a Mormon.
11. If we really saw the Universe, perhaps we would understand it.
12. Perhaps we live too absorbed in ways of life that totally distance us from understanding our surroundings.
13. 12. How else can you threaten other than death? The interesting thing, the original, would be that someone threatens you with immortality.
14. 13. We all walk towards anonymity; only the mediocre arrive a little earlier.
15. 4. Literature is nothing but a directed dream.
16. Death is a lived life. Life is a death that comes.
17. I think it is better to think that God does not accept bribes
18. I have not cultivated my fame, which will be ephemeral.

19. We are our memory; we are that chimerical museum of fickle shapes, that heap of broken mirrors.
20. Only that which is gone is what belongs to us.

Happiness does not need to be transmuted into beauty, but misfortune does.
21. Time is the best anthologist, or the only one, perhaps.
22. Dreaming is the oldest aesthetic activity.
23. One is in love when one realizes that another person is unique.
24. I have once suspected that the only thing without mystery is happiness, because it is self-justifying.
25. Over the years I have observed that beauty, like happiness, is frequent. Not a day goes by that we are not, an instant, in paradise.

With affection,
Ruben


No comments:

Post a Comment