Friday, January 26, 2024

Louisa May Alcott Quotes

 

Louisa May Alcott




Quotes

“I like good strong words that mean something…”

1. “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.”

 “I'd rather take coffee than compliments just now.”

2. “There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind.”

3. “I ask not for any crown

But that which all may win;

4.Nor try to conquer any world

Except the one within.”

5. “Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.”

6.“I've got the key to my castle in the air, but whether I can unlock the door remains to be seen.”

7. “The power of finding beauty in the humblest things makes home happy and life lovely.”

8. “Love Jo all your days, if you choose, but don't let it spoil you, for it's wicked to throw away so many good gifts because you can't have the one you want.”

9.“A faithful friend is a strong defence;

And he that hath found him hath found a treasure.”

 10.“Your father, Jo. He never loses patience, never doubts or complains, but always hopes, and works and waits so cheerfully that one is ashamed to do otherwise before him.”

11. “Don't laugh at the spinsters, dear girls, for often very tender, tragic romances are hidden away in the hearts that beat so quietly under the sober gowns, and many silent sacrifices of youth, health, ambition, love itself, make the faded faces beautiful in God's sight. Even the sad, sour sisters should be kindly dealt with, because they have missed the sweetest part of life, if for no other reason.”

12. “I want to do something splendid...something heroic or wonderful that won't be forgotten after I'm dead. I don't know what, but I'm on the watch for it and mean to astonish you all someday.”

13. “Love is a great beautifier.”

14. “Watch and pray, dear, never get tired of trying, and never think it is impossible to conquer your fault.”

 “...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride.”

 “Let us be elegant or die!”

15. “Don't try to make me grow up before my time…”

― Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

16. “Women, they have minds, and they have souls, as well as just hearts. And they’ve got ambition, and they’ve got talent, as well as just beauty. I’m so sick of people saying that love is all a woman is fit for.”

 17.“My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother.”

18. “Have regular hours for work and play; make each day both useful and pleasant, and prove that you understand the worth of time by employing it well. Then youth will bring few regrets, and life will become a beautiful success.”

 19.“I want to do something splendid…

Something heroic or wonderful that will not be forgotten after I am dead…

I think I shall write books.”

 20.“Human minds are more full of mysteries than any written book and more changeable than the cloud shapes in the air.”

21. “Because they are mean is no reason why I should be. I hate such things, and though I think I've a right to be hurt, I don't intend to show it. (Amy March)”

 “Be worthy love, and love will come.”

22. “You don’t need scores of suitors. You need only one… if he’s the right one.”

23. “Some people seemed to get all sunshine, and some all shadow…”

24. “You are the gull, Jo, strong and wild, fond of the storm and the wind, flying far out to sea, and happy all alone.”

 “I keep turning over new leaves, and spoiling them, as I used to spoil my copybooks; and I make so many beginnings there never will be an end. (Jo March)”

With affection,

Ruben

No comments:

Post a Comment