Sunday, March 3, 2024

Dialogue without barriers with Jorge Chavez

 

Dialogue without barriers with Jorge Chavez

Corriere della Sera interviews Jorge Chávez in the hospital after his tragic accident

On Friday, September 23, 1910, after the accident occurred while landing, after having conquered the Alps, Jorge Chávez was rescued from the remains of his Bleriot, which lay in the Domodossola field. Luigi Barzini, special envoy of Milan's Corriere della Sera to cover the Crossing of the Alps.

Source:Newspaper La Cronica Viva Lima Peru





 

Corriere della Sera interviews Jorge Chávez in the hospital after his tragic accident

There is silence in the hospital room where Jorge Chávez is in.

 

Then he, looking at his friends Arthur Duray and Joseph Christiaens, asked:

“And the others?”

 

Barzini: “The others? Who?”

 

Chávez: “The other aviators. Weymann…

Barzini: “Weymann and Farman left Briga this morning and headed to Milan.”

 

Chávez: “Ah! I thought… it's such a nice day today…”

 

Barzini: “Stay calm. “You have won, only you."

 

Chávez: “It has been hard. I have not passed the Monscera.... Do you know that?”

 

23 September 1910. Jorge Antonio Chávez Dartnell, also known as Géo Chávez, Franco-Peruvian aviator– left Ried-Brig, Switzerland and flew towards the Simplon Pass, becoming the first pilot to fly over the Swiss Alps.

— Ron Eisele (@ron_eisele) September 22, 2023

 

 

Barzini: “Stay calm.”You have won, only you."

 

 


The interview begins as follows:

Barzini: “I think you were going too low to overcome Monscera.”

 

Chávez: “None of that. I could have perfectly risen much higher... However, I have not dared, I haven't dared. Do you remember what winds we had on Monday, when I had problems in the Saltina Valley? Well, that same sudden and treacherous wind…”

 

Barzini: “Did he grab it from the side?”

 

Chávez: “No, it blew in all directions… it came in gusts, it went up, down, and it formed whirlwinds…”

 

Barzini: “At what point in the route did you catch it?”

Chávez: “When I started to climb, there was perfect stillness… I made it very well to the Simplón Pass… The day was so clear that I could see the hotel perfectly.

 I continued, therefore, with complete confidence, heading towards the Krammbach valley… Do you remember? That valley that we descended together in the morning with Paulhan…”

 

Barzini: “Perfectly.”

 

Chávez: “I have gone down a little to cover myself from the east wind…”

 

Barzini: “We have seen it.”

 

Chavez: “Ah! Were they you? I saw a car that was running…”

“Up, always up!”

Commanding the small monoplane Bleriot @CancilleriaPeru @PeruEnSuiza @JChavezCresta@swissinfo_es pic.twitter.com/X4dgDz8Mz7

 

— Markus Antonietti (@yetirhodanus) September 23, 2023

 

Barzini “Did you hear our screams?”

 

Chávez: “No… Well, I went down a little. I had just a few gusts of wind. He feared something more serious after what he had seen in the morning. The stillness continued to accompany me until the Furgenn pass, that high valley that can be seen from the village of Simplón.”

 

Barzini: “It is the beginning of the Monscera passage.”

Chávez: “Precisely… I was determined to go through there. He knew the route perfectly. He had climbed the top of Pioltone twice and I remembered all the steps... When I arrived at Furgenn I believed that the most difficult part of the journey had been done. But a first gust of wind hits me as I pass along the road… where it makes the last turns over the valley before heading towards Gondo… Are you following me?”

 

Barzini: “I see the place. Were you too high at that point?”

 

Chávez: “More than a thousand meters. I saw it as a tangled white ribbon... Until that moment, I had flown in a southerly direction. From there I headed southeast... But as soon as I found myself at the Furgenn Pass, between the Seehorn on the left and the Tschaggmatorn on the right, I suddenly felt myself caught by the wind... They were real hammer blows, unexpected, for here, there, up, down... Hell. I seemed to bounce like a ball. He made jumps of fifty and sixty meters. Ah! If the barometer had been able to record all that, you would see what kind of zigzags it would mark. The wind suddenly threw me towards the earth and a moment later grabbed me again to throw me against the sky... That's where I tired the device. I felt like the wind was carrying me and it seemed as if the airplane had to suddenly escape from me. I moved the balancers, I tried to spin, get out of those whirlwinds... It was a tremendous and stubborn fight..."

 

1/2 #Antique 1910 #Italian #RPPC shows crash site at #Domodossola of #Peruvian #Pioneer #Aviator #GeoChavez who_ 113 years ago on this date_ Sept 23, 1910 was officially declared #First #Pilot to cross the #Alps in the #Milano Air Race Circuit #deltiology #AviationHistory #Italy

pic.twitter.com/Jz9pOfoaZT

23, 2023

 

 

Barzini: “Were you scared?”

 

Chavez: “No.”

 

 

 

 

Barzini: “And you were not impressed by the vision of the mountain and its abysses?”

 

Chavez: “No. I did not think about that... I did not look down... I only looked at what was in front of me, I only thought that about five kilometres away was the Mons era pass, high, abrupt and I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to fly there... winds swept it, penetrated it... To my left opened the Zwischberger valley that connects with the Gondo. It is a narrow gorge between steep mountains, enclosed between the Seehorn and the Pioltone, uglier and narrower than the Gondo. He is seen passing by on the road. And I got into it... I could not choose. I had to decide whether to continue… or land among the rocks…”

 

Barzini: “At what height were you flying?”

 

Chávez: “Above two thousand meters, maybe two thousand one hundred... I circled around the Seehorn and then entered the gorge.

Three minutes later, three long and endless minutes, I assure you; I was behind Pioltone and was following the valley, a little below the peaks... The wind was blowing quite strong, I had it behind me. It was flying fast, perhaps more than a hundred kilometres per hour. I felt some shakes, the gusts of wind carried me like a board in a stormy sea, but the jumps were smaller than the previous ones... I have travelled in this way about seven or eight kilometers to where the valley widens. I then made out, below and to my left, on the other side of the valley, the village of Varzo. I estimate it was about fifteen hundred meters above it. The heights on the other bank have seemed easier to fly over and I have headed over the Varzo, reducing my altitude to approximately five hundred meters, alternating the planned flight with some "reprises" (strokes) of the engine... And I have done well, because I have found a quieter area. After Varzo, I have always flown over the left bank... I have seen the Ossola valley in the distance. It was the end. I got there in a flash… I passed over Domodossola, going lower and lower. I could see the landing field, many people, a large white cross on the grass, the landing signal. Then… later, you know the rest.”

 

2/2 #Antique 1910 #Italian #postcard commemorating #Peruvian #pioneer #aviator #GeoChavez who was declared #First #Pilot to cross #Alps 113 years ago when he crashed at #Domodossola _on this date Sept. 23, 1910 during “#Milano Air Race Circuit” He died on the 27th #philately pic.twitter.com/eAgDZWeA2p

 

— Marje Molder (@MarjeMolder) September 23, 2023

 

Barzini: “No. Tell me until the end.”

Chávez: “I don't know. It went down very well; it went down regularly, a little in gliding flight and a little with the help of the engine so as not to be dragged by the blowing wind... It made a normal landing... It was almost touching the ground, happy... Then I don't know more. I don't remember what happened. I think about it, but I can't remember it... I see myself a few meters from the ground, in my device... and nothing more."

 

Barzini: “Have you not seen when the wings broke?”

 

Chávez “No, they say they have folded like the wings of a pigeon… Is that true, Duray?”

 

Duray: “Let's not talk about this anymore… Enough.”

 

Chávez remains silent… The hospital room remains silent.



 

With affection,

Ruben

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment